What is Home Contents (or Household Contents) Insurance ?
Imagine your home has been turned upside down: Almost everything flying out (like furniture, clothes & electronics) is covered – up to a flexible amount, which you can adjust to your needs at any time.
You are covered in case of
A fire at home has damaged some of your clothes, furniture, and electronics for the worth of €20,000. In cases like these you are insured by us.
A defect in your washing machine will cause tap water to leak out and damage nearby furniture worth €2,000. Don't worry, we will protect you from the financial consequences.
Storm & Hail
During a storm, flying branches destroy your living room window. Your beloved home cinema worth €1,000 is destroyed by rainwater. But don't be too upset, we will make sure you can get a new one soon.
Burglary & Theft
Burglars enter your home and steal jewellery, your laptop and your TV. The damage amounts to €5,000. But luckily with us you're insured against this. On holidays, criminals threaten and rob you. They steal your money, your digital camera and your mobile phone that sums up to a total value of €2,000.
Add toppings to your cover
Add useful extras on top of your home contents plan to enhance the coverage even more.
Get this add-on for protection against... yourself. Or in other words: if you screw up.
This add-on covers gross negligence within the covered risks (fire, water damage, storms and burglary). It ensures that you are reimbursed up to 100% of your max. sum if an incident was initiated by you.
Note: Without the add-on it's only up to 10% of your insured sum.
Got a thing for hard facts? Take a look at our Terms & Conditions.
Like to park your bike around town? This add-on covers you up to €5,000.
Get this add-on and insure your bike, as well as that of your household members outside your home. Just choose your preferred insured sum from 500 up to 5,000 Euro and if something happens, we will reimburse you the value of your bike in new.
Want more hard facts? Read our Terms & Conditions.
Broken glass brings good fortune, but is annoying if it's spread around the floor. This add-on covers glass breakage to lift your mood.
This add-on to your home contents insurance covers many glass items in your home up to the insured sum. For example these:
- Glass furniture;
- Building glazing (e.g. windows);
- Glass ceramic or induction cooktops;
- Aquariums and terrariums.
However, there are a few exceptions that are not covered. Like these:
- optical glasses (e.g. glasses);
- solar panels;
- Items that were already damaged when the claim was made;
- Displays of electronic devices (e.g. televisions, laptops, smartphones).
In the event of damage, we replace destroyed items either completely or with items of the same type and quality. This also includes the costs for delivery and assembly (e.g. replacement of a window).
Got a thing for hard facts? Learn more about this add-on in our Terms & Conditions.
Check out our terms & conditions
What is covered ?
Insured are the contents of your flat.These include all things in the household serving private use (usage or consumption). These also include for example:
- Furniture, carpets, clothing;
- Electrical and electronic appliances (e.g. washing machine, TV set, computer);
- Antennas and blinds belonging to your flat;
- Cash and other valuables (e. g. jewellery) in limited amounts.
Sum Insured and Insured Value
- The sum insured is the agreed amount, which should correspond to the insured value. If this is not the case, disadvantages can arise in the calculation of the compensation.
Covered by the insurance are the necessary and actual costs incurred as a result of an insured event, such as:
- Hotel-, transport- and storage costs;
- Costs for provisional measures;
- Guarding costs;
- Costs for changing locks;
- Repair costs for damages to the building;
- Repair costs for damages due to moisture;
- Clearing, movement and protection costs;
- Damage averting and damage reducing costs;
- Additional costs according to your insurance conditions.
- Material damage or loss of the insured property as a result of an insured event.
- Fire, lightning (including surge damages), explosion, deflagration, implosion, impact of vehicles, supersonic pressure waves, civil unrest, strikes, lockouts;
- Burglary, robbery, vandalism after a burglary, as well as damage caused by an attempted burglary or robbery;
- Tap water;
- Natural hazards such as storm, hail;
- Bike theft (if agreed upon);
- Glass breakage (if agreed upon).
What is not covered?
Not covered items are for example:
- Things brought in by the building owner, for which the owner bears the risk;
- Motor vehicles of all kinds and trailers;
- Aircrafts and watercrafts.
Are there any cover restrictions?
There are a number of cases, in which the insurance coverage may be limited. Events always excluded from the insurance coverage are:
- Nuclear energy;
- Wet and dry rot;
- Storm surge, flooding, backwater, groundwater, earthquake, ground subsidence, landslide, snow pressure, avalanches or volcanic eruption;
- Intentionally caused damage.