What you should look for in an E-Bike Insurance policy

You own an e-bike, but don't really know how best to insure it? Read all about it here!

Because there are different types of electric bikes, there are different types of insurance. In any case, it makes sense to have a separate E-Bike Insurance for theft. E-bikes are expensive so it is even more annoying if someone steals it, the battery, or other parts. 

E-Bike Insurance - when is it necessary?

If you own an e-bike, it can be a pedelec, an S-pedelec, or a completely electrically powered bike. The differences lie in the respective performance of the various models. 


Pedelecs are bicycles with electric pedal power assistance. The name Pedelec is an abbreviation for the term Pedal Electric Cycle. These models do not ride independently with motor drive. Rather, you always have to pedal, but it is not as hard as a traditional bicycle. For the motor to work at all, you must first press the pedals. The maximum motor power is 250 watts. The motor assistance is also limited. It switches off automatically when you reach a speed of 25 km/h. Some pedelecs have a start-up function. 

Some pedelecs have push assistance up to a speed of six kilometres per hour. With these models, the motor switches on even before you start pedalling. From six kilometres per hour, however, you have to pedal hard. 

Pedelecs are considered bicycles so you are not required to wear a helmet. For your own safety, however, it makes sense to wear one. You also do not need an insurance license plate or a driver's license for a pedelec. 

To protect yourself from the high loss in case of theft, you should consider having theft insurance for your pedelec. If it is stolen from the locked cellar during a burglary, the Home Contents Insurance will replace your loss. However, in case of a simple theft in front of the house or from another parking place, only a special bike theft insurance will cover you.


S-Pedelec stands for speed pedelec. According to its name, it goes faster than a simple pedelec. The motor supports your pedalling power up to a speed of 45 kilometres per hour. If you go faster, the motor switches off. To achieve the higher speed, an S-Pedelec is equipped with a 500-watt electric motor. However, since it is still a pedelec, you must also pedal so that the motor switches on. S-Pedelecs are also available with push assistance up to six kilometres per hour. 

In contrast to the simple pedelec with a 250 watt motor, the S-pedelec is a moped. Therefore, you need at least an AM driver's license and must attach an insurance license plate to your bike. You can only get the AM driving license after the age of 16. So you are only allowed to ride an S-Pedelec when you are 16 or older. In addition, helmets are compulsory for S-pedelecs, just as they are for scooters, mopeds, or mopeds. You are not allowed to ride the S-Pedelec with a simple bicycle helmet. 

The license plate is proof that you have liability insurance for your S-Pedelec. You can take out this insurance online or on site at the insurance office. The license plate will be given to you at the same time. When you buy an S-Pedelec, the dealer must give you the operating license. This also means that you are not allowed to make modifications to the bike. In the worst case, the operating license could expire and you would no longer be allowed to ride on public roads. 

If you also want to insure your expensive S-Pedelec against theft, you will need special e-bike or partial coverage insurance.


The term e-bike is used in various contexts so it can be a bit confusing. Many people refer to all bicycles with electric motors as e-bikes, including pedelecs. But there is a clear technical and legal difference. 

The e-bike differs from pedelecs in that you can pedal, but you don't have to. In fact, it runs without your assistance. You simply switch on the motor and your bike starts moving as soon as you press the throttle. In fact, it's not a throttle because you're riding with an electric motor. But you operate it with a similar technique. E-bikes can be equipped with a 250 or 500 watt motor and can go between 20 and 45 kilometres per hour. Up to a maximum speed of 25 kilometres per hour, e-bikes are considered mopeds. E-bikes with a speed of 45 kilometres per hour are mopeds. 

The driving license and helmet requirement when riding an e-bike depends on the maximum speed and is regulated as follows:

Maximum speedDiving licenseHelmetMinimum age20 km/hrMoped test certificateNot required15 years old25 km/hrMoped test certificateCompulsory15 years old45 km/hrClass AMCompulsory16 years old

You need an operating permit for every e-bike, which the seller will issue to you. As with the S-Pedelec, you may not make any technical changes that would invalidate the operating permit. 

An insurance license plate is also required for all e-bikes, regardless of the maximum speed. The license plate serves as proof that liability insurance exists. The procedure is the same as for an S-Pedelec. You take out the moped insurance for one year at a time. The insurance year runs from March 1 to February 28 of the following year. 

You need a new insurance license plate every year. The validity is easy to recognise by the color, because insurance license plates change color every year. The cost ranges from 35 to 70 euros, depending on the insurer and the age of the rider. Since it is only liability insurance, it only pays for the damages of a possible accident. To insure your electric bike also in case of theft, you need comprehensive or theft insurance. 

E-Bike Theft Insurance

Bikes for which a driver's license or insurance is required can be insured with partial coverage in the event of theft. Insurers offer partial coverage as a supplement to liability insurance. 

For a pedelec, however, you need a special theft insurance. Luko offers you an E-Bike Theft Insurance for pedelecs with the following benefits:

  • Reimbursement of the replacement value of your stolen pedelec
  • Reimbursement of the cost of replacing stolen bicycle parts that are permanently attached to the e-bike and necessary for its function
  • Replacement of the new value of a stolen bicycle lock
  • Replacement for a stolen and co-insured GPS tracker
  • Replacement of repair costs for damage caused by vandalism

The requirements for being able to get E-Bike Insurance are:

  • no liability insurance obligation
  • no driving license obligation
  • highest sum insured 10.000 €
  • Pedelec is not older than twelve months
  • not self-built
  • not for business use

Sum insured of the insurance for e-bike

The sum insured of the e-bike theft insurance is based on the new price of your bike including the lock and an existing GPS tracker. For example, if your pedelec cost 1,600 euros and, together with the lock and GPS tracker, 1,900 euros, this is the sum insured. You must specify the lock and GPS tracker in the insurance contract, as well as the data on your pedelec. 

In case of theft, Luko will reimburse you for the price you would have to pay for a new equivalent pedelec, lock, and GPS tracker. For example, if the e-bike now costs only 1,200 euros, you will receive 1,200 euros plus the cost of the lock and GPS tracker. 

If only parts of the pedelec are stolen, the theft insurance will pay for the new parts. Parts that are only attached to the e-bike with simple connectors and quick-release fasteners are excluded. The most expensive element of an e-bike is usually the battery. Therefore, it is also insured. A prerequisite for replacement by the theft insurance is a fixed connection to the bike.